As I prepare to write my 22nd post of the month, I search my mind, my notebook of ideas, and everywhere for inspiration.
So, I thought today would be a great day to write about just that – where I find inspiration for blog posts and other writing projects.
If you open your ears, your eyes, and your mind, there is inspiration all around. I even have an idea after watching The Croods last night. Yes, the animated film about a family of cavemen.
Anyway, I am a big magazine reader. I get tons of magazines delivered every month including Shape, Essence, and O Magazine. And I hate throwing them out. But if I kept them, then I wouldn’t have an open space anywhere in the house. So, I have to get rid of them eventually. (So sad.)
But if I find articles that inspire me, I have to keep them. So, I tear them out. The goal is to one day organize them into a binder. (Am I the only one tearing out articles and saving them?)
The inspiration can start as just a few words or it can mention a service or a book etc. or anything that sparks my interest, but as I think about it takes on a life of its own.
For example, here are a couple of examples below:
• The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow
• Raise a Reader for Life (As an inspiring children’s book author, I have been dying to write a story about raising a reader who appreciates differences. So, I will use this to inspire an article about kids reading books about kids that don’t look like them, etc.)
• Napflix.tv – a streaming service for insomniacs that helps put you to sleep
Also, I find inspiration when I am watching television.
Tonight, I am watching the American Music Awards. And there is inspiration all around. Here are a few writing prompts I created while watching:
• What would you do if you had just one day to live?
• What would you do if you had nothing to lose?
• How are you choosing to leave your mark?
• Are you saving your tears for another day?
In addition to reading magazines and watching television to find inspiration, I also read other blogs. Yesterday’s post, Closet Cleanout with thredUP, was inspired by a fellow blogger’s post about Poshmark. Thank you, Cherith for the post Selling on Poshmark: My Personal Experience.
And my post Currently (Finding Inspiration) was inspired by the founder of See Jane Write and her post Currently. Thank you, Javacia.
As you can see, inspiration is all around. I hope that this post inspires you.
If you are inspired or you have some other sources of inspiration, please feel free to leave them in the comments.
~Until Next Time