As I prepare to write my 22nd post of the month, I search my mind, my notebook of ideas, and everywhere for inspiration.
So, I thought today would be a great day to write about just that – where I find inspiration for blog posts and other writing projects.
If you open your ears, your eyes, and your mind, there is inspiration all around. I even have an idea after watching The Croods last night. Yes, the animated film about a family of cavemen.
Anyway, I am a big magazine reader. I get tons of magazines delivered every month including Shape, Essence, and O Magazine. And I hate throwing them out. But if I kept them, then I wouldn’t have an open space anywhere in the house. So, I have to get rid of them eventually. (So sad.)
But if I find articles that inspire me, I have to keep them. So, I tear them out. The goal is to one day organize them into a binder. (Am I the only one tearing out articles and saving them?)
The inspiration can start as just a few words or it can mention a service or a book etc. or anything that sparks my interest, but as I think about it takes on a life of its own.
For example, here are a couple of examples below:
• The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow
• Raise a Reader for Life (As an inspiring children’s book author, I have been dying to write a story about raising a reader who appreciates differences. So, I will use this to inspire an article about kids reading books about kids that don’t look like them, etc.)
• Napflix.tv – a streaming service for insomniacs that helps put you to sleep
Also, I find inspiration when I am watching television.
Tonight, I am watching the American Music Awards. And there is inspiration all around. Here are a few writing prompts I created while watching:
• What would you do if you had just one day to live?
• What would you do if you had nothing to lose?
• How are you choosing to leave your mark?
• Are you saving your tears for another day?
In addition to reading magazines and watching television to find inspiration, I also read other blogs. Yesterday’s post, Closet Cleanout with thredUP, was inspired by a fellow blogger’s post about Poshmark. Thank you, Cherith for the post Selling on Poshmark: My Personal Experience.
As you can see, inspiration is all around. I hope that this post inspires you.
If you are inspired or you have some other sources of inspiration, please feel free to leave them in the comments.
~Until Next Time